Traveling is one thing that we all love. No wonder there has been so much innovation in the field of travel and hospitality industry. Complementing this demand, we came across a requirement of developing an app that allowed the users to explore Telangana.
Though it sounded very exciting, we knew it was going to be a challenging task because when you say travel, it is a wide concept, and finding a base to design an app for that means a lot of base research. Therefore, we started off with some basic questions that would help us understand the purpose, target audience, and expectation from the app.
1. The age group targetted
2. Any competitors providing the same service? If yes what and how are they providing this info.
3. How is a mobile used during a travel
4. How frequent is that Telangana is the choice when making travel plans?
5. The ratio of Indian visitors to International visitors
6. What kind of activities and experiences are looked forward to in Telangana?
7. When you plan a travel, what is your expectation from a mobile app if you are using one.
Based on the responses to the above questions, we created two imaginary characters of different ages and lifestyles who took as our sample users of the app. Through this exercise we realized that the app must have:
1. Offline availability of maps and itinerary
2. Notifications of interesting places around
3. Save places and activities
5. and call to action option.
Once this was clear, we moved on to the design element. As it is a travel application, it was essential that the application looked pleasing, filled with good pictures and navigation that almost created the impact of virtually exploring the places. In addition, the design elements needed a provision for a description of places which again needed strategic placement of content without affecting the overall look and feel of the pages.
Based on this we designed the app windows and screens. The content and the images were neatly segregated under various categories like spiritual, adventure, leisure, shopping and more. Thus, based on the user’s interest and preference, the user was free to navigate through the places to plan their best travel plan. The app also had a feature wherein, if the user keyed the number of days of stay and the interests, the app would create a customized and tentative itinerary which ofcourse the user could change if needed.